Sales tips for the aspiring rock star!

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Play #6 A New Year Worth Embracing?




Happy New Year! (a bursting of the bubble in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1)

It’s rather unfortunate, but our pessimism might be getting the best of us!

I’ve spoken to several people who are (and rightly so) concerned about the economy. I’ve spoken with others who fear the uncertainty of 2009 and my favorite . . . ones who are just glad 2008 is over!

You might be suffering from what psychiatrists call SNYS . . . Sucky New Year Syndrome!

Doesn’t exactly make ya want to go out and rip bumpers off of cars with excitement does it?

And yet, we are destined for the same sucky new year again if we don’t two fist the reigns and get some control!

Just out of curiosity; if you were to have an incredible, fulfilling, prosperous 2009, what would that look like? How would you look? How would you feel? How would you act? Are you standing up a bit taller? Are you a little prouder? Would you feel more accomplished? What kind of adjectives would you use to describe that year?

Last week, we took a depressing view of Covey’s Habit # 2 Beginning With The End In Mind to design how we want our stories to end. God willing there are several chapters between where we are today and where it ends. As a matter of fact, its time to write your next chapter.

It’s One Year From Today . . .

I want you to think about your life one year from today and answer the questions I posed earlier in this post. I want you think about this year as if it has already happened and you are telling us about it.

Once you get a clear picture of that year, finish the sentence below. The only rule is that you think of a word or phrase that really sets the tone of what you are about to tell us.

It’s one year from today and I feel _____________________________

Some ideas to get your wheels turning . . .

It’s one year from today and I feel unstoppable!
It’s one year from today and I feel accomplished!
It’s one year from today and I feel like I’m in the locker room at the super bowl . . . I made it!

Piece this all together and create a 30 second vision statement that tells us about your incredible 2009.

Here’s my vision statement for 2009:

It is one year from today and I feel energized and accomplished!

Having lost more than 50lbs, I can now tap into new energy resources. I look and feel great and it is fast forwarding my success across the board!

I have written the book (finally) and close to finalizing a deal with a publisher. My articles, blogs and podcasts continue to build my personal brand and I feel as though a new chapter in the Castain Success Story has truly begun!

The best part, is that this is only the beginning for me. Life is great and I awake each morning with a renewed passion.

I feel like a million bucks!


Damn, that felt good writing that! I would venture to say it’s a tad more motivating than:

It’s one year from today and I feel like crap. My 2009 sucked and I’m glad it’s over. As a matter of fact, I’m pretty confident that my 2010 will suck too, that’s why I complain and do nothing about it.

Hope you had a laugh, but that’s where our thoughts can go subconsciously if we don’t do a little reprogramming . . . NOW!

To make a long sermon longer, I turned to the logical place one should turn to for motivation when times are tough . . . An Adam Sandler movie!

There was a scene at the end of Mr. Deeds when Adam Sandler said something along the lines of (and I’m paraphrasing big time here) “Look at us now. I bet the 6th grade versions of ourselves would want to kick all of our assess right now for who we’ve become!”

It’s a funny line and yet so true. At one point, we aspired to be something different. Through a series of twists and turns to the plot (perhaps a groin kick or two) here we are today!

I’m happy to say that the 6th grade version of me (bad 70's haircut and all) wouldn’t want to kick my ass. I do think he might call me a “wuss” for defaulting to the safe things as many times as I have! Perhaps, like many of us, I need to be less "wuss-like" and take a few more chances in 2009. After all, Paul Castain is no 6th grader’s bitch!

So I would like to be the first to offer a unique toast to our new year. This toast requires the opening of a fresh can of whoop ass, a 6th graders belief and the tenacity to never stop trying until we have the year that we truly deserve!

To a 2009 full of health, happiness and prosperity!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Free Sales Tips By Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Shades to hide my true identity! :)

Join Our New Linkedin Group! Click On The Picture

Add Me

View Paul Castain's profile on LinkedIn
Twitter Button from twitbuttons.com
Top 10 Sales Articles nominated author widget

Followers

Castain Guarantee

Castain Guarantee
Alltop, confirmation that I kick ass

About Me

My photo
Paul Castain is the Vice President of Sales Development for Consolidated Graphics (CGX) one of North America’s leading general commercial printing companies. Paul has over 25 years of sales and sales leadership experience. He has trained, mentored and coached over 3,000 sales and sales leadership professionals. An accomplished public speaker, Paul has delivered numerous key note addresses. He has authored numerous training manuals, articles, blog posts and is currently working on his first book for release in 2011. Feel free to email Paul ctstrainer@yahoo.com. This has been a paid announcement by the friends of Paul Castain!

About This Blog

Paul Castain's Sales Play Book is blog dedicated to strengthening our sales game, supporting rock star development and developing jedi like skills. All that is required is a willingness to learn and a sick sense of humor!

Topics Discussed: sales, sales leadership, cold calling, networking, telemarketing, presentation skills, social networking, twitter, linkedin, facebook, google, technorati, digg, training, sales tips, SEO, job hunting, hiring, recruiting, best practices, pipeline management, CRM, goals, time management, motivational, inspirational, social media, online marketing, ning, job openings, speakers, trainers, associations, blogs, bloggers, articles, sales management, onboarding, NLP, SPIN Selling, Unemployment, news, wordpress, dress for success, inside sales, call center,

Blog Archive

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites

BlogCatalog

Sales Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory